Dee DiGioia (di JOY uh) is a bullying prevention specialist, author, Mindfulness & Transformational Life Coach, educator, and founder of Caring and Courageous Kids (CCKids). Dee is both inspirational and educational as a public speaker at conferences and workshops for youth and adults at school, work, or in the community. She has been a breakout speaker at 3 national conferences. Additionally, Dee wrote, directed, and produced a movie for elementary school-aged children to inspire leadership in helping break the cycle of bullying though nonviolence while inspiring compassion using the “bucket-filling philosophy”. She followed that up by publishing a guidebook to the movie for educators and parents who recognize their role in mentoring children to become mindful, positive leaders.
“While working as a Speech-Language Therapist I became aware that some of my special needs students were experiencing bullying at the elementary school where I previously worked. Having experienced bullying first hand in my own adult life around that same time I thought of Maya Angelou’s quote “the need for change bulldozed a road down the center of my mind” and that was the beginning of Caring and Courageous Kids, where I soon became affectionately called “The Peace Lady” by the children!” ~Dee DiGioia
Dee is empowering children through adults with life-skills on social, emotional, and physical well-being to enjoy a life filled with creating happiness for self and others. The focus of CCKids began at the elementary school level but has been expanding at the request of others, and the “Circles of Compassion“ program now covers teens, adults in the workplace, and community groups (parent groups, neighborhoods, youth programs, etc) both locally and worldwide. Dee integrates mindfulness into her program and is introducing mindfulness-based meditation in schools as an important and viable practice to help our next generation develop the habits and life-skills proven to relieve the pressures that children face in today’s world, along with the many other benefits it can offer. CCKids is challenging families, classrooms, youth groups, and entire communities to join our “Circles of Compassion” and take the “Compassion-fit Challenge“. It’s not just about changing children. It’s about changing the mindset of a culture.
Dee successfully integrated her practices while working as a Speech-Language therapist at St. HOPE Public Schools in Sacramento, CA for the 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 school years. PS7 Elementary School embraced Dee’s work where she introduced her “Circles” program. The results were rewarding! She is bringing her passion and skills to the Central Coast where she has recently relocated in Pismo Beach, CA.
Writer, Director, Producer: Which Team Will You Choose? ~ educational movie for elementary school-aged children
Author: One Caring and Courageous Choice at a Time ~ guidebook to the movie (above)
Inspirational Public Speaker for conferences, workshops, classes for youth, parents, educators, adults at work and in the community.
Certifications and credentials:
- Mindfulness Coach and Trainer ~ Mindful Schools certified Instructor.
- Meditation Teacher Certification (Emerson Institute, Spiritual Center for Positive Living at Cameron Park, CA)
- Spiritual Life Coaching Certification (Emerson Institute, Spiritual Center for Positive Living at Cameron Park, CA) ~ including certification for: Quantum Process Practitioner, Neuro Linguistic Programming Practitioner, and Hypnotherapist.
- Autism Movement Therapist® (AMT) Certification for children with special needs. AMT is an inter-hemispheric sensory integration technique incorporating movement and music in collaboration with Positive Behavior Support strategies to assist individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders in improving behavioral, social, emotional speech, language, and academic skills in children. Through cognitive re-mapping, new neural pathways open up, and transfer to other challenging areas of life, opening up a whole new world!
- Clinical Rehabilitative Services: Language, Speech, & Hearing, California Life Credential (Speech-Language Therapist), (SUNY Cortland) Specializing in social-emotional-behavioral challenges for children with autism, Asperger’s, sensory processing, learning disabilities, ADHD and more. Also workshops for parents and educators of special needs children on social-emotional-behavioral regulation and calming techniques, and bullying prevention to help protect students with special needs from the damaging and frightening effects of bullying.
- Masters in Education of the Deaf (Smith College)
- Early Childhood Administration (UCLA Extension and CSUN Dominguez Hills)
- Additional training (2013) by Kidpower which teaches positive, practical personal safety skills to protect people of all ages and abilities from bullying, molestation, abduction, and other violence through knowledge, action, and skills.
- Massage Therapy Certification
- Darkness to Light, Stewards of Children Certified Facilitator (Child Sexual Abuse Prevention)
Additional previous experiences with children include:
Home Childcare Provider (while raising my two sons)
Special Education Teacher for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing
See my NEW website: Mindful Kindful YOUniversity to learn more about mindfulness.
Dee also enjoys hiking, cycling, traveling, photography, acting in community theatre, wine-tasting, laughing and spending time with her two grown sons! She resides in Pismo Beach, CA.
“A little peace here, a little peace there, and pretty soon all the
peaces will fit together to make one big peace everywhere.”